Monday, January 11, 2010

Joel: You're Kidding Me, Right?

I've been aware of this for a while, but today's assigned exercise regimen was to walk 5 minutes, run 3 minutes, walk 5 minutes, run 3 minutes, and walk 5 minutes. I knew it wouldn't be happening. There seems to be a sincere possibility that I'm going to fail week 2 and have to repeat it again next week.

Yesterday morning in 7:30am, there were no problems walking 15 minutes, running 1 minute, and walking another 3+. All good. Even in 24 degree temps.

Today. Another story altogether. So here's sort of how things went down:

5:15
Other Band Director: "Bye, I'll see you tomorrow."
Me: "If I don't call you by 8, call the hospital."
OBD: "Yeah."
Me: "Seriously, I think I'm supposed to walk 5 minutes, run 3 minutes, walk 2 minutes, and die"

5:30
I get home, change into my old worn out and beat up sweatpants, and post my final Facebook status update ever...also reminded myself that there's over $250 waiting at the end of this horrible miserable journey

6:00
Leave to go run

6:14
Find the most secluded track in town and get out to walk

6:15
Begin walking for 5 minutes

6:20
Begin first 3-minute run

6:21:30
Wow, it's been 90 seconds! Time to walk again.

6:21:35
Begin gasping for breath

6:24
Let's try this again...

6:25
Stop running, resume walking, resume gasping for breath

6:28
I can run some more...let's give it one last push!

6:28:20
Has it been 3 minutes yet? No...

6:28:30
Wow, that was the slowest 3 minutes of my life. Time to walk.

6:31
Collapse in my truck

On a positive note, I got 16 minutes of exercise in (plus I played a little Wii Fit later this evening) and I was quite impressed that my legs were hurting before my heart completely failed on me. Maybe there's hope for me yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Valid Atom 1.0]